Nothing happened, everything happened

"But just now they had missed, and the jet trails of the crisscrossing moments left an awkward vacuum in their wake."


Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins (the 2006 Newbery Medal winner) is an insightful and creative novel. It captures the feelings, the thoughts, and the doubts of teenagers - specifically fourteen-year-olds. I would give this book to a fourteen-year-old because he/she would be able to relate to the characters. Reading Criss Cross reminded me of what it was like to be a teenager/fourteen years old. All the doubts about myself. I can't believe I forgot! Now I don't doubt myself - my strengths, my capabilities, etc. I may doubt the world. I may doubt other people. But I don't doubt myself anymore. I should read this novel again when I have teenage kids so that I remember the sentiments and the tentativeness and wonderment of adolescence and know what my kids are going through. It's a good thing I read Criss Cross now. It re-opened my eyes. I have nieces and nephews to take care of. I honestly believe having read the novel will make me a better aunt and a better teacher (and in the future, a better mother).

Criss Cross is the sequel to All Alone in the Universe. I must read this! [I just ordered this from Fully Booked in Gateway! =)] And from what I gather from the ending of Criss Cross, there will probably (hopefully) be a third book. Yay! =)

Now I'm off to read a summer tale of four sisters, two rabbits, and a very interesting boy by Jeanne Birdsall. =) I love summer reading! =)

(To explain the title of this post: Criss Cross has an episodic plot, but its plot can also be considered a static plot because most of the action, or at least the significant action, in the plot is internal action - action WITHIN the characters.)

Comments

bb said…
Hi Ms. Tarie! ;) How are you? it's our summer break! yey! I read your entry about quitting on your blog. I personally like your blog, although there are times that i don't get to read some of your entries and post any comments. You i haven't wrote anything new in my blog but i still continue writting on my journal. Anyways, i just want to say hi! take care ma'am!