Author Interview: Kaleb Nation

Today I have a quick Q&A with probably the youngest children's/YA debut author of 2009. This twenty-one-year-old is the author of Bran Hambric: The Farfield Curse, a novel about a teen who has discovered that he has incredible magical powers - while living in a city where magic is illegal.

Introducing... Kaleb Nation!

Kaleb, please tell us, what motivates, inspires, and influences you as a writer?


As a writer, I think that I am most influenced by the things that happen to me in real life. Everyone has experienced happiness, and heartbreak, and joy at some time or another. When I am writing, I try to think back to the things that I've felt in my life, and I try to imprint those feelings onto my characters.

Where were you and what were you doing when you found out that your novel was going to be published? What were your first thoughts and feelings? How did you celebrate the good news?

When I got the call from my agent, I was actually sitting in class at my university. My phone buzzed and I quickly checked the Caller ID, and the moment I saw my agent's name, somehow I knew it was THE call. I got out five minutes later, and I raced across campus to my next class, playing his voicemail a dozen times on the way. I called him back from the hallway, and he had the deal!

I was so flustered that I was 15 minutes late for the next class. But when the professor found out why, she didn't mind too much!

What books would you like your own work to match or surpass (in terms of writing, impact/influence, popularity/sales, or awards)?

If I could one day become at least half the writer that John Green is, then I will feel I have really achieved something. And as for goals, I've always wanted to be a New York Times Bestseller sometime.

If you could choose only one, which would you choose: for your novel to be award-winning, or for it to be bestselling? Why?

I think I would prefer award-winning. Books that win good awards usually stick around longer than quick bestsellers.

Do you have a message for your readers in Asia? :o)

It's amazing that you'll be reading the book all the way around the world from where I wrote it! Hope you enjoy the story :D

Thanks so much for answering my questions, Kaleb!

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's interesting to read about the success of such a young author! Kudos to Nation for achieving in college what many authors don't achieve until mid-life at least.

I liked his perspective on drawing from life to inspire emotion in a story. I find little pieces of my life experience slipping in here and thither when I write--even when I write my fantasy novel, which has absolutely no basis in reality. It's something a writer can't help.

Rachel Heston Davis
Up and Writing
www.rachelhestondavis.wordpress.com
Tarie Sabido said…
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a message, Rachel. :o) I have to admit that I am jealous that Kaleb already has a published novel at such a young age!
Avril said…
Doesn't Kaleb have a blog about being a guy and reading Twilight, or something like that?
Tarie Sabido said…
Yep, Aves. Kaleb is The Twilight Guy! :o)