Shoes for Me! by Sue Fliess


Feet got bigger,
heel to toe.
Time for new shoes. Off we go!

I am older.
Look, I've grown.
Mom says I can choose my own!

There aren't any children in my household (yet). But my brothers, cousins, and I do enjoy huddling over a good picture book before bedtime. The other night, we read Shoes for Me!, written by Sue Fliess and illustrated by Mike Laughead (Marshall Cavendish, 2011). Shoes for Me! is about a little hippo going shoe shopping with her mom. For the very first time, she gets to choose shoes for herself, and the book takes us along as she spends the day trying on different pairs.
Shoes that zip up,
shoes that tie.
Shoes to tiptoe to the sky.

Shoes that clatter,
shoes that clop,
Shoes that light up when I hop.

After we read Shoes for Me!, my 17-year-old cousin Bobby stated, "That was wonderful." My 19-year-old cousin Lina grinned and said, "Cuuute." My 27-year-old brother JP clapped to show his approval. Shoes for Me! is a perfect picture book for wee ones about to choose their own shoes or clothes for the first time (or who have only just begun choosing shoes or clothes for themselves). They'll be able to relate to the experiences of the little hippo (such as frustration over too-tight or too-expensive shoes), and have fun and even some laughs with her. As for the illustrations, the earthy colors of the little hippo, her mom, and all their animal friends (giraffes, kangaroos, etc.) provide balance and a nice contrast to all the different bright colors, shapes, sizes, and designs of the many pairs of shoes featured in the book.

Shoes for Me! is simple, adorable, and pleasing. I can't wait to give it to my two-year-old niece Micie.


[My copy of Shoes for Me! was provided by the publisher.]

Comments